Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Thirteen Weeks!

Ahh! I'm just squeezing this one in under the wire. Tomorrow the calendar flips to 14 weeks, so I'll be posting again this weekend. You can never get too much baby blog action, right?!

The biggest and most important news from week 13: we have the results from our first trimester screen... and they're fantastic! If you recall, odds of DS based on age alone were 1/855... well, once the measurements from the NT scan and the blood test were incorporated, our risk went way down. Here are the official numbers:

  • Down Syndrome: 1/4183 (.02%)
  • Trisomy 13/18: <1/10000 (.01%)
We were so relieved and thrilled. This means no CVS test or amniocentesis and far less stress for the next several months - all good for Baby!

Also this week, we shared the news with people at work. I made delicious vanilla cupcakes with pink and blue frosting for Ryan to take in to the office (a big hit!). I was too tired to make more cupcakes, so I sent the following email to my team:
Team, 
Three things: 
  1. The [company] rumor mill is notoriously fast and efficient.
  2. I think big news is more exciting when heard firsthand rather than through the grapevine.
  3. We don’t have any team meetings on the calendar this week. 
Which brings me to my fourth point and the ultimate reason for this mass email: 
  1. My husband and I are expecting a baby in late December! 
It is incredibly exciting news that I’ve been keeping a lid on for three months now, so thanks for letting me share with all of you (albeit in a slightly unconventional way)! 
C
So much fun to be out in the open and to have people celebrating with us!

Also, check out the very exciting item I received in the mail today:
This is my fancy new maternity pillow, designed to make it comfortable to sleep on my side for the remainder of the pregnancy (important, because the increasing weight of the baby will put pressure on the inferior vena cava and can cause dangerous drops in blood pressure). I can't help but roll onto my back during the night, so this pillow is great for "propping" me on my side - smart! It's so comfy - can't wait to go to sleep tonight!

Okay, because I need to go get dinner going, let's get to the tracker...

Week: 13
Weight: -2 (according to the doctor's scale I lost two pounds during the first trimester)
Baby is the Size of a(n): Peach!
Symptoms: tired, (really) hungry, mild nausea, very vivid dreams (including one from which I woke up sobbing), and serious moodiness (true story: I've been CRABBY)
Current Obsession: ice cream (this week I'm making two more: blueberry and peach), blueberries, cherries, waffles, oatmeal, tomatoes, all the vegetables from our farm share, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch (still)
Current Aversion: beef, eggs, seafood, and anything greasy (this hasn't changed, but it's getting a little less intense)
Thinking About: when I'll really start to show and not just look a little thick in the waist; whether we're having a boy or girl; designing a nursery; building out our registry; and dreaming up names
Pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment