Sunday, June 26, 2011

Fourteen Weeks!

We're over 1/3 of the way through this journey to parenthood and can't believe how fast it's going. In some ways, I find myself wishing time would go faster, but in other ways, I just want to savor this experience and don't want it to rush by (not to mention, we need all the time we can get to get our house ready).

The craziest thing that happened so far during Week 14 was taking a tremendous fall while out with the dogs. On Friday, we were standing at the top of the hill across the street in the park when the dogs decided it would be fun to go sprinting down the hill to play with a little girl who wanted to pet them. It's hard to stop two 70+ pound dogs on a good day, but when being pulled down a hill, it's impossible. I hit the deck and was unceremoniously dragged down the hill first on one side, then the other, and finally came to a stop in the park... with muddy scrapes running the entire length of both legs and one shoulder, my wool skirt bunched up under my armpits, and - as I later discovered - grass in my underwear. People in the park were shouting, "Oh noooooooo! Are you okaaaaaaay?" as I jumped up, humiliated and hurting, to fix myself and drag the dogs back home. Before I could get out of there, the little girl who wanted to play with the boys gave them both hugs and pets on the head ("to help them calm down - they like this") and a little boy told me, "My dogs do that too. People think it's because they're mean, but they're just excited." Exactly. *sigh*

Once safely behind closed doors, the waterworks began. Through gulping sobs, I snapped some photos of the carnage, got myself cleaned up, scolded the boys, and put on clean clothes. I called the doctor and left a message with the triage nurses, who called back to say all was likely just fine with the baby and to take Tylenol for the pain. After feeling bad for myself for the better part of Friday, I felt much better upon waking Saturday. My scrapes are all scabbing over and I have only one giant (and gross) bruise, so it could have been worse.


Drama! Sooo, we're back to really intensive training when out with the boys - it's just not safe or acceptable for them to be so wild!

In other news, Ryan had another triathlon this morning. It makes for early mornings and long days, but it's so fun to cheer him on and I'm always SO proud of and impressed by him at the finish. He also feeds me after the races with some of the post-race athlete food he picks up. :) It's so sweet to watch many of the athletes' tiny kids cheering for their moms and dads, giving high-fives, and otherwise being adorable... I just keep thinking about this time next year, when we'll have our own tiny fan tagging along to races!

Last but not least, I've been feeling funny flutters and bumps in my abdomen! One minute I am convinced that I'm feeling the baby move, and the next I'm telling myself it's probably just digestion at work. :) I want to be sure! I want to feel the baby moving around - I'm so excited for that part!

Okay, because the dryer's buzzing and I need to go rescue our laundry, let's get to the tracker:

Week: 14
Weight: -2 (unsure whether this has changed - we're in the process of buying a new scale!)
Baby is the Size of a(n): Lemon!
Symptoms: tired, hungry, dizzy when I get up too quickly, round ligament pain when sneezing/coughing/shifting positions, tailbone pain when sitting for awhile, heavy & crampy feeling in lower abdomen, very vivid dreams, and serious moodiness (Short Fuse City!)
Current Obsession: sweets!, blueberries, cherries, waffles, oatmeal, tomatoes, all the vegetables from our farm share, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch (still)
Current Aversion: beef, eggs, seafood, and anything greasy (this hasn't changed, but it's getting a little less intense)
Thinking About: when I'll really start to show and not just look like I'm getting a little soft around the middle; when I'll for sure feel the baby move, whether we're having a boy or girl; designing a nursery; finishing up our registry; and dreaming up names (we have a strong contender for favorite right now!)
Picture:

No comments:

Post a Comment