Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Twenty Weeks!!

Woo! We've made it to another milestone: the halfway mark! It is SUCH a great feeling to know that we're that much closer to meeting our baby!

Also, it helps that I'm officially in the "glowy & happy" stage of pregnancy, or so everyone keeps telling me. I should keep a tally of the number of people who tell me I'm glowing. I'll be completely honest with you: I love it! Everything about this pregnancy is just a joy to me, and I see the beauty in it all, but there are days I mourn the loss of control over my body. It's hard to look in the mirror and see myself expanding, even though I know it means the baby is growing and developing right on track. Call me vain, but I've always taken care of myself and tried to stay fit. Noting the numbers on the scale and inches around my belly creeping (or leaping!) upward feels like watching all of that effort slip away. I know I'll get it back, but how long - and how much work - will that take?! Lest this sound like too much complaining, let me reiterate that I am in love with being pregnant. I simply expressed all of that to explain why it honestly touches my heart when friends tell me I look great or I'm glowing or some other sweet compliment of the sort. It helps buoy my spirits and confidence when I otherwise might feel down. So throw me a life raft - I can use the pick me up!

How about some highlights from this week (and there were a few!):
  • Strolling Right Along: Choosing a stroller felt a lot to me like buying a car. It seemed monumental, full of pressure to make the right choice (a choice we can live with for years to come), and surprisingly expensive! I did gobs of research and finally settled on the stroller for our munchkin. Luckily, there were two shops in the area that carried it, so we could go take a test drive (see?!). 
We went on Saturday and were able to check out many of the items we've registered for in person for the first time, which was great. When we finally made it to the back of the store - to the strollers - we were greeted by the shop owner, who took the time to demonstrate all the bells and whistles on the model we came in to see, as well as the one additional model I was sort of eyeing longingly. He then showed us a completely different model and we fell hard. We both tried our hand at folding and opening it, taking it for a stroll through the store, and asking that poor man dozens of questions. After patiently answering all of them, he knew we were hooked (just like a car salesman!), so he offered us 10% off if we wanted to buy that day. We knew we'd buy it at some point, so we pounced. Here - in all of its shiny glory - is Baby's new stroller (and bassinet stand so Baby can sleep in our room for a little while):
  • Hard to Please: Sunday, R and I went to see our crib at the only store in Minnesota that carries it (we were reminded again of how much we love living here). Sneak peak:
There was a lovely woman at the shop who took the time to answer our questions. After several minutes of chatting about cribs, changing tables, and the like, the shopkeeper asked, "So, are you two thinking about having a baby at some point in the future?" Stunned that she had been standing in the presence of my very obvious bump and still felt the need to ask, I pointed at my belly and said, "Oh, we're well beyond thinking about it!" She was very sweet and helpful, but I'll tell you what, it bothered me the rest of the day! I kept asking Ryan, "Did she just think I had a giant stomach tumor or what? How could she not tell?!"
Fast forward one day and I was at a work meeting. A colleague - who presumably did not know I am pregnant - approached me and said, "You're looking sort of pregnant. Are you?" I was shocked - gutsy move! As the day went on, I felt more and more put out. "Am I that huge? Do I look grotesque?!"
I told R when I went home, "Well, I realized that I'm apparently impossible to please." He laughed... and concurred!
  • Walk This Way: I noticed when walking toward a mirror the other day that my gait is changing! I have the beginnings of a pregnant waddle... oh dear!
Last, but certainly not least, tomorrow is our much-anticipated anatomy scan. By the end of the day, we'll know whether we're bringing home a little guy or gal in December! We are SO excited - it seemed like this day would never arrive. Once we share the news with our families, you'll be the next to know - more to come!

Okay, on to the tracker:

Week: 20!
Weight: +5 so far (weigh in at our appointment tomorrow)!
Baby is the Size of a(n): Cantaloupe! 
Symptoms: insatiably hungry, dizzy when I get up too quickly, round ligament pain when sneezing/coughing/shifting positions (and lately, walking), tailbone pain when sitting for awhile, very vivid dreams, and moodiness (noteworthy breakdown: cried uncontrollably when R read Baby The Little House before bed one evening, apparently overcome by the sweetness of the act and the sadness of the story!)
Current Obsession: watermelon, pancakes, heirloom tomatoes, all the vegetables from our farm share, apples, peanut butter, red meat, and lemonade
Current Aversion: eggs (this is pretty bearable now)
Thinking About: whether we're having a boy or girl (one more day to wonder!); designing a nursery; finishing up our registry; and dreaming up names (we have a strong contender for favorite right now!)
Picture


    No comments:

    Post a Comment