Saturday, December 31, 2011

Our First Week: Ten Things

  1. Evelyn Esther is our daughter's name. We chose it first and foremost because it is the beautiful and dignified name that was written on our hearts for this child for a long time. Evelyn is a tricky name etymologically, but some sources say it means "desired" and no baby was more longed-for than this little girl! We also liked that it incorporated a nod to Lynn, my middle name and a name that many women in my family share. Esther was an easy middle name to choose, as it is my beloved grandmother's middle name and it means "star" - pretty perfect for a baby born on Christmas Eve! Finally, her initials are EEB, which she shares with her paternal grandfather - a special nod to someone with whom she almost shared a birthday (but thank goodness she didn't decide to wait the four days necessary to do so, as I was so eager to have her out!!). Many have asked us about the baby's name, so there's the back story!
  2. There is no smell on earth more delicious than that of my baby's head. Covered in downy, fluffy black hair, I wish I could sit and sniff her all day long. That, and nibble on her toes, kiss her perfect ears, and snuggle her tiny, soft body. I want to remember everything about the amazing and perfect tiny person that she is right now. I've never been so instantly in love.
  3. Newborns can't consciously smile, I know they can't, but I swear E does and it shatters my heart into a million tiny pieces every time she does. She has one giant dimple on the lower part of her right cheek and I'm telling you now, this girl will be dangerous when she flashes her smile in the future!
  4. R is a natural as a dad and don't tell him I told you, but he's over the moon for his little girl. Hearing him talk to her like an adult (but in a sweet and doting way) makes me smile every time. I think his favorite word to describe her is precious, and he's right! One favorite memory from this week: R was a little vigorous with the diaper ointment one day and E ended up with what looked like a white paste diaper. R sort of mournfully looked at me and exclaimed, "I made her butt look like a lifeguard's nose!" I laughed so hard I cried!
  5. I am notorious for nicknaming the people in my life that I love, though the nicknames usually fly fast and furious (i.e., I seldom stick with them). E already has a few nicknames from me: Squeaks or Squeaker, because of the sounds she made a lot in those first few days, and lately I've taken to calling her Birdie because she chirps like a little bird all the time. Also, she gives a scream when she's angry that sounds uncannily like an eagle. Interestingly, one of the other thoughts on the meaning of Evelyn is that it's from French and Latin origins and means 'bird" or "little bird" - very fitting!
  6. E had some challenges during her first week of life, losing weight faster and more dramatically than is healthy. We had four appointments in four days this week to get some help with this problem and - to make a long story short - we're now in the clear! Baby E is eating, pooping and gaining weight like a champ. (Side note: a lactation consultant we met with a few times this week referred to E as a "barracuda baby" because she's got such a strong, powerful latch and sucks with authority!) She's a pretty amazing baby and we're so relieved to see her thriving.
  7. We've noticed that E is a remarkably strong baby. She lifts and throws her head around during tummy time and she can tuck and roll from her back onto her side. It's vaguely terrifying, as we thought newborns weren't able to do these tasks, but we've been told by several medical professionals that big babies are often very strong babies and will hit many milestones early. So, although I've been joking all along that E will be an overachiever, it seems to be true!
  8. The puppies are equal parts smitten with and taken aback by the baby. They run to her at every chirp and coo, they watch her carefully, and they love to gently sniff and tentatively lick her in an effort to place what she is. The other day, E lay quietly awake in her crib and then started hiccuping. Cooper ran into her room, watched her - tilting his head from side to side with curiosity - then gave one startled "BARK!" They dote on her already, but I think it will take some time for them to figure her out!
  9. Allow me to be selfish for a moment and talk about myself rather than the baby: in the one week since E was born, I have lost 30 pounds (*shh* I know those were the easy pounds to lose!) and - most exciting of all - I have ankles again! I sometimes sit holding the baby and staring at my slender ankles, as I truly do not recognize them as my own! I'm starting to feel so human again! Knowing how much I want to get back to pre-baby shape, R gifted me personal training sessions at our gym. I have to be cleared by the doctor to start working out, but I am really excited for and motivated by this goal!
  10. We are tired. So, so tired. Although it is New Year's Eve and we expected to be wide awake with the baby at midnight, with any luck we will all be sound asleep. That said, here are my thoughts to close out the year: 2011 was the best year of our lives so far because it brought us our incredible daughter. I cherish every memory and moment of carrying her, but I am so relieved to have her here with us in the world now. I cannot wait to dive into 2012 and watch her grow, change and become the person she will be. We are so blessed by this baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment