Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Thirty-Two Weeks

Ring the bell, ladies and gentlemen: we have made it to the eight month mark! This feels like a tremendous achievement as long as I don't think about the fact that there are still two months to go... Week 32 highlights include:

  • All in the Family: My parents visited this weekend. We enjoyed a lovely Sunday afternoon of football, chatting and feasting on meatloaf, mashed potatoes, salad, and a fabulous cake chock-full of fall flavors. It was fun to spend some low-key time together (and it didn't hurt that the Vikings won)! One of the best parts of the visit was Mom's delivery of the baby's fitted crib sheets and crib skirt, which she handmade from fabric we picked out during her last visit. The nursery looks so much cuter as all of the pieces fall into place! Here's a quick photo we snapped of one of the four crib sheets - lovely:
  • Trick-or-Treat: R and I handed out candy during our last pre-baby Halloween this week. It was so fun to see the little kids (especially the really little ones) in costume and think about our own future adventures in trick-or-treating. As I love handing out candy, I proposed that maybe taking our daughter trick-or-treating can be a special Dad & daughter activity. We shall see! Favorite moments included the little boy who held out his bag and demanded, "Give me candy," to which I automatically replied, "Please?" I waited for him to repeat it back before giving him candy, much to his chagrin. I was gratified to hear his mother correct him as they walked away - there's hope for kids yet! There was a little girl in a princess costume who was wearing a bear-face stocking cap under her crown. I asked if she was a Care Bear, to which she disgustedly replied, "I'm a princess, duh!" ha - can't wait to see how many times we hear "DUH" from our little girl... :o) It was equally fun when a little girl asked R for additional pieces of candy and I heard him say, "Nope, only two per person. We have to save some for all of the kids." It's like a little glimpse into our parenting style. So fun! 
  • Rock-a-Bye: The baby's swing arrived in the mail yesterday, and I assembled it after dinner. It was fun to turn it on, crank up the included white noise options, and watch the dogs skitter out of the way, then slink back to check it out. The swing is so cute in the nursery and I look forward to using it to soothe the baby in just a few more weeks!
Okay, time to move on to the tracker so I can get to bed! We flip over to Week 33 in the morning and we have our next OB appointment tomorrow afternoon, so next week's post will include the latest from the doctor on our progress and status!

Week: 32
Weight: +23 pounds (as of Week 31) 
Baby is the Size of a(n): pie pumpkin (just under 4 pounds)
Symptoms: still always hungry, round ligament and general "growing" pains, really achy pelvis (SPD), extreme shortness of breath, outrageously swollen feet (I frequently have my shoes off and my feet propped up under my desk at work, but even that's not helping much!), mental lapses (I had to write myself a reminder note that I parked in an unusual spot yesterday. I posted it on the wall near my office doorway and my coworkers who spotted it had a laugh at my expense!), wacky dreams, trouble sleeping comfortably through the night, the beginnings of nesting and general moodiness (noteworthy breakdown: general fear of childbirth has left me crying a few times this week when I think too much about it... the good news is that's really the only way to get the baby out, so it'll have to be okay!)
Current Obsession: oatmeal, red meat, all the vegetables from our farm share (especially squash and potatoes), apples, cinnamon applesauce, peanut butter, MILK (we went through three gallons last week!), vanilla almond milk, and the Signature Latte from our local coffee shop
Current Aversion: not much!
Thinking About: who our little girl will take after; seeing the actual little elbows, knees, hands and feet she's using to poke and jab at me; finishing up the nursery and layette; securing a pediatrician; taking maternity photos and getting newborn photos scheduled; having our car seat installation checked for safety;j pre-registering at the hospital; and still pondering names (though I think we may have a winner!!)
Picture(s)

No comments:

Post a Comment