Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Twenty-Four Weeks!

Week 24 has come and (almost) gone, and it was another busy and eventful one! I can't believe we've been on this journey for six months already, but I also can't believe we still have four months to go! It sounds like a lot, but I am getting the feeling it's going to go quickly! Here are some highlights from this week!

  • Up, Up & Away: The baby and I did more than our fair share of traveling this week, and she's definitely earning those frequent flyer miles right along with me! In two days last week, we flew from Minneapolis to San Francisco to Phoenix and back. *whew* It was relatively uneventful travel, except for getting through security in Minneapolis. I was selected to go through the new full-body x-ray scanners (you know the ones I mean), but refused because I didn't want to expose the baby to unnecessary radiation. My consolation prize: a full-body pat down. Whoopee! It was very professional and no big deal, so it was a small sacrifice to keep the baby safe. The only real casualties of the trip were my feet, which suffered some tremendous swelling! To me, they looked like little loaves of bread by the time I made it home - ouch. It'll be a few weeks before I have to travel again, thank goodness!
  • One Last Hurrah: The day after my business trip, R and I dropped the puppies at their favorite boarding facility and took off for Michigan. We spent the holiday weekend with R's family, including a little shopping, a big family dinner, a late-night donut run with K, a visit to Grandma at the hospital, and a former colleague's wedding. We had a lovely time and tried to make it count, as unless things change, the next time we visit we'll have a new baby in tow! Because they're so darn cute, here are some images of the outfits we bought the baby:
  • I'll Pass, Thanks: I had my monthly OB appointment this afternoon, and in addition to the regular fun and games (more on that momentarily), I had to do my oral glucose tolerance test. For those unfamiliar, the test involves fasting briefly, drinking 10 oz. of a lemon-lime glucose solution (think super sweet, flat Sprite), waiting around for an hour, then giving a blood sample in order to have my blood sugar levels checked. My OB practice considers a result of 139 or less to be an acceptable level (a pass). A result of 140 or above would require a subsequent 3-hour test and could result in a diagnosis of gestational diabetes - no thanks! My result was - *drumroll* - 139!!! I just barely passed. I'll take it, though!
  • Oh, My Achin' Pelvis: Also at my appointment, I received a diagnosis for my extremely achy pelvis: symphysis pubis disfunction. In this fun turn of events, the area at the front of my pelvis where the two sides of the join meet is spreading a little too much and too soon. In short, it hurts to sleep, stand, walk, and especially to put my weight on one foot or the other. There's not much the doctor can do, so she recommended a pregnancy support belt (a girdle!) and taking it easy with no pounding or irritating activities. 'Take it easy' is a nice prescription!
Okay, it's late and I'm falling asleep, so on to the tracker:

Week: 24
Weight: +13 so far (as of our Week Almost-25 official doctor weigh-in; +4 pounds in 4 weeks) 
Baby is the Size of a(n): Papaya!
Symptoms: still always hungry, increasing round ligament and general "growing" pains, really achy pelvis (thank you, SPD!), tailbone pain when sitting for awhile, shortness of breath, sinus congestion (especially at night), wacky dreams, and moodiness (noteworthy breakdown: very nearly lashed out at someone who was fast-walking right behind me yesterday - just walk around me if you're in such a hurry!!)
Current Obsession: watermelon, oatmeal, heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, all the vegetables from our farm share, apples, apple pie, peanut butter, Greek yogurt, milk, and lemonade
Current Aversion: not much, but seafood is still not my favorite
Thinking About: who our little girl will take after; what her personality will be; working on the nursery; finalizing leave of absence plans; finding a pediatrician; getting maternity/newborn photos scheduled; choosing a hospital for delivery; and still pondering names (I have a feeling this will be true until we meet our little girl!).
Picture(s) 


    No comments:

    Post a Comment